Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Defensive Driving

This past weekend was a beautiful one here in Minnesota, and we haven't seen that since, oh, last summer. It begged for time spent outdoors. So, I packed up Wee 'Burb and my roommate and we went off to the zoo.

We were having a lovely drive, rocking out to 80s music and getting Wee 'Burb to dance to Abba, when all of a sudden, life slowed down.

I saw a bolt in the air, so tiny I feel I couldn't have seen it. Except I did.

Followed closely and quickly, but still in slow motion, by a bicycle. Heading directly at me.

I gasped and swore and the whole time I remember thinking to myself "do NOT drive into the ditch, just drive. The bike is going to hit you, but you just need to drive" and I did, and the bike hit and I kept driving until I could safely pull over to the side of the road.

To discover despite the bicycle ricocheting off the side of my car, all I had was a scratch by my driver's side mirror.

A scratch. A bicycle over 2 lanes of traffic and all I had was a scratch on my car.

Naturally, the rest of the ride I thought of all the horrible things that could have happened. I grabbed Wee 'Burb extra tight and tried to shake it off.

But I'm giving extra thanks.  

7 comments:

JoAnna said...

WAit a minute- a bike! With no rider? Did it fall off an overpass or something? You're leaving out some crucial details here!

Stephanie in Suburbia said...

It was a bike hooked to a bike rack on the car. No rider, thank goodness.

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

Oh my gosh!! That's so scary...glad you guys were both OK. You know, car stuff is scary enough without worrying about what might happen to the baby!

Janet said...

It's so weird when things like that happen. They happen so quickly yet we see them in slow motion. Feels like we're in The Matrix for those couple of seconds right?

Well great driving! You can drive me anytime :-)

The Sweetest said...

So, I'm guessing the bike rack came apart, and the bike went flying? Wow.

Ameena said...

How terrifying! I always think about accidents and what could have happened. That terrifies me even more!

Heather said...

OH. I was terrified a biker had come at you. I am glad you are all ok!!