Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Things I Love Thursday: Sun Butter


I’ve been anxiously awaiting my weight loss plateau…the same way you know someone is mad at you and you anxiously await the inevitable confrontation. Typically, my plateau happens around 20 pounds, and when you have 40 to lose and you’re stuck at 20, it just feels like time to give up.

Well, my plateau never came. What happened instead was two pounds from my birthday goal (and also the loss of all my baby weight), I began to gain and lose the same three pounds. It’s been weeks now. I thought the plateau was bad, but seeing the scale go up when you’re working so hard is just a special brand of torture.

In the past, when I have plateaud, I’ve taken stock of my food and figured out how I can change it up, so I’ve been doing the same with…whatever this cosmic joke is. I went to one of my better weight loss sources, my sister-in-law. She’s my role model because when we go out, she has a blast, she eats what she wants, and you would just never know in the back of her head she’s calculating exactly what she needs to do the next day to make up for what she’s doing then. She also doesn’t eat a lot of overly processed frozen meals, etc. That was my huge mistake last time I was trying to lose weight. You can only live off frozen meals so long, gaining the weight back is inevitable when you try to do that.

Anyway, she suggested I focus on breakfast, and focus on protein, not carbs. She hit it spot on…I was constantly eating english muffins or toast or muffins. And then I wondered why I was starving at 10:00. She eats refried beans and makes a sort of breakfast burrito without the tortilla, but I just can’t get behind that for breakfast.

So I started researching things higher in protein, and I found a few Web sites that featured Sun Butter. In particular, I saw a lot of people pouring it in oatmeal. I’m not much of an oatmeal eater myself, but it looked good on the sites, and I needed a change.

This stuff is amazing! It is the richest flavor, and while it’s definitely oily, you don’t really need to stir it. It recommends keeping it in the fridge, but I prefer the oilier consistency, particularly when I add it to oatmeal because it mixes and melts in.

For those who don’t like the texture of peanut butter, or have peanut allergies, I highly recommend this substitute. While higher in fat, the protein levels are great, I’ve stayed full until lunch, and I am finally working my way back to getting to my pre-pregnancy weight.

My next step is to try some of their recipes, I will let you know how they go!

What do you do when you hit a weight loss plateau, or worse, gain weight when you’re doing what you’ve always done?

1 comment:

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

I have just begun a journey toward a healthier me (again), and right now I feel I have so far to go. But, my mind is in the right place and I have high hopes for this go around, and I'm also not striving for some insane skinny goal weight like I used to in the past. Isn't it funny how as you get older you always think, "I didn't appreciate that weight when I was at it! I'd take it in a heartbeat now! My trick in the afternoon when I want to snack, is I eat a plain Gardenburger patty (I honestly love it) and that helps tide me over until dinner in a more healthy way than crackers, etc.