Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Things I Love Thursday: These Boots are Made for Walking




I should confess, I don’t have these boots yet. I just love what they represent to me right now.

I have been coveting these for months, ever since I saw them in a magazine. I was taken back to my childhood when I wore “galoshes” and splashing in a puddle was the greatest thing EVER.

I saw them and thought two things: 1) these are the cutest boots ever and 2) these are the least practical boots ever. I mean, I barely leave my house.

So, I put them aside and thought of them no more, until I began to start focusing on losing the baby weight. Like many women, I’ve gained and lost ad nauseam. I have a broader range of clothing sizes than The Gap. This time, I was hell-bent on taking my time and doing it slowly so it would last. This approach goes against my very soul, as I am the queen of Instant Gratification. But as I figured out, if you lose it fast, you gain it fast.

To maintain my sensible weight loss plan, I had to play some head games with myself. Embarrassing, but true. So I began to set little weight loss goals. At 15 pounds, I bought myself a massage. At 20 pounds, a manicure.

And, folks, you are seeing what I am getting for 30 pounds, a milestone I reached last week. It’s taken me since January to get here, it’s been a long journey, but here I am. And here are my boots, which shall arrive here in 3-5 days, just after the rain is going to stop. Great.

And now I need your help, Internet! My big goal is actually close, too. I want to hit 32 pounds by my 32nd birthday, which is this coming Tuesday. I’m close to reaching the goal, and I was going to treat myself to a housekeeper for a day to clean my house from top to bottom, but my awesome husband is getting that for my birthday.

And so, I need something to treat myself. Something bigger than boots but smaller than a trip to Napa (that’s my 50 lb prize, if I ever get there). Ideas??

What have you done to treat yourself? Some great things I’ve heard along the way include one woman who logged how many miles she ran in a year and then treated herself to a vacation that was the same mileage away! Do you have to do these little mind tricks or is the number on the scale enough motivation?

6 comments:

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

I wish I had a need to wear rain boots because they are so freakin adorable. If it rains I pretty much just go from home to car to work so I don't need them. Maybe one day we'll move to a city where I'll walk more and will get to rock them! I'm honestly not big into rewarding myself. Maybe I should be. I have been tossing around the idea of an iPad!

Stephanie in Suburbia said...

Lindsay: an iPad is a fantastic idea! Well, for some people, for me they scare the crap out of me. My Blackberry is still a flip phone :)

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Oooh, I LOVE this idea of setting smaller goals and then rewarding yourself. I'm a huge fan of baby steps! As far as a cool reward for hitting 32 lbs., hmmm...what about spending the same amount of money you would have on the housekeeper to purchase a bunch of books or movies of your choice? Maybe even have a bunch of girlfriends over for a movie night?

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

First off, good for you! That is awesome weight loss! Recently, a mommy friend of mine and I went for a one night stay at a resort nearby. We went and got pedicures then shopped. Then, we checked into our room, drank wine, and watched a movie. Then, we went to dinner at a fun place you would typically never take children, and then we went back to the hotel and watched another movie. In the morning, we got room service for breakfast and watched another movie! Then we went home. We were only gone for one night and we jammed all we could into it. It was great!

Millennium Housewife said...

I bought The Dress: ie the most fantastic dress I saw, and I didn't look at the price tag. I'm wearing it to a wedding in August and can't wait!

Stephanie in Suburbia said...

These are all great ideas! I'll have to redo my weight loss goals since I didn't make my birthday goal :( But these are totally going in the bank for my future goals.