Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Mute This!

Our lifetime has brought about some pretty damn amazing technological breakthroughs, wouldn't you agree?

But none quite as miraculous as the power to selectively mute certain people.

Here's the gist:

Matt Richardson, a video producer for technology magazine Make, likes to keep the TV on in the background while he works but got irritated when certain celebrities came on the air. So he invented "The Enough Already," a device that let him put those bothersome blowhards on mute automatically.

Using a versatile piece of computer hardware called Arduino, Richardson cobbled together an infrared device that he programmed to decode his TV's closed-captioning system. The device monitors the closed-captioning track in real time, and automatically puts the TV on mute for 30 seconds when certain keywords—the ones Richardson programmed it to pick out—appear. He made it in about a week, working in his spare time, he told CNN, and his prototype cost about $70 to put together.


I submit to you the Top 5 words/people (in no particular order) I would mute if given the technology:

1. Taco Bell
2. Kardashian (all. And since they're all the same, they count as one).
3. Fox News
4. Chelsea Handler (she's not funny, do not argue this with me, you will not win)
5. Palin (any and all)

Please share yours!

9 comments:

Kat said...

1. Confession: I follow Kim Kardashian on Twitter because since she has a house in MN now, I feel like we're obligated to know WTH is going on with that situation.

2. How are they everywhere all at once? There's a week of Kardashians hosting a morning news show (seriously - a different one every day), they're on late night TV, they have their shows. It's so confusing.

3. Chelsea Handler isn't funny. She tries at man humor and fails. This is why we're friends. I always feel awkward watching her.

Life As Wife said...

Love your list!

My mute words would be: New, Jersey, shore, and any combinations thereof!

Stephanie @DialMforMinky said...

Hilarious!

Sarah Palin, Anne Coulter, Kate Hudson, Fox News, and one more....oh, I don't want to waste it! I need to ponder this.

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

can I just mute specific words? If so, I will choose the word "guru" and also the word "shop" but only when it's used to replace the word "group" or "team".

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

That's a good start, and I know I'd have a bunch more to add. And my TV would probably be on mute 90% of the time!

SmartBear said...

I totally agree with your list! Oh...a mute button? Mine would be for the word "bully" and for anything related to adult cartoons: family guy, futurama, etc. I can't stand them. Unfortunately, the scruffy faced husband loves them.
Best,
Tina

Crystal said...

I agree with you on Chelsea Handler. So not funny.

The Woven Moments said...

OMG this is hilarious. Can i put a permanent mute on Limbaugh?

Ameena said...

I want to mute Kim!! And all the Jersey Shore people who just irritate me to no end. And Herman Cain.

I could go on for hours but I'll spare you...