Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

R.I.P. Bunny


The circle of life continues its ugly loop. I have no good updates to post, as today was a traumatic day in suburbia. A few days ago, Scott came in and informed me that he found a bunny carcass. Or half a bunny carcass. Then today, while I was on a conference call in my room, I heard a HORRIBLE scream and I just knew in my gut it was a bunny attack. I’m trying to review my week with my boss and meanwhile as I look out the window, I see a black and white cat with a screeching baby bunny in its mouth. I’m trying not to scream and frantically trying to open and close the window and snap my fingers in the hopes that maybe my ridiculously futile attempts at getting the cat’s attention will momentarily allow the baby bunny to run.

No luck. I think the cat gave me the finger. Flipped me some fur? I don’t know, it looked at me like an evil little monster and ran off with the twitching bunny.

I was so traumatized even Cous Cous stopped her morning destruction and came and sat and put her head in my lap. A friend of mine gave me the phone number for a wildlife rehabilitation place and I called. They said if we felt the bunnies were orphaned (and really, what mommy bunny would send her baby out as bait?) then they would take them, but we would have to bring the bunnies to the rehab center an hour or so away.

I went out to try to find the remaining bunnies, assuming there were any. We can’t find them anywhere! We tried watering and digging a little, and nothing! So either they burrowed down really far, or got smart and moved their little bunny hut. Scott says I am going to have to accept that this is how it goes and for every bunny carcass, there’s another litter of bunnies being born elsewhere. I’m not mollified.

2 comments:

Tasha said...

Flipped you the fur. That's funny! But yes, I agree. Nature is harsh. We have a robin's nest just outside our kitchen window. The kids and I have been watching the baby birds grow bigger, but one of the babies got bumped from the nest by its mother. A closer look revealed it was not developing properly, which is why the mother pushed it out. I understand why, but it still sucks. So I had to spend an entire day watching this baby bird scoot around the dirt for its mother, slowly getting weaker and weaker. Ugh. Broke my heart. I buried him the next day. :(

Stephanie in Suburbia said...

I feel for you! I should have buried the half bunny carcass, but I think seeing it would have completed the trauma. I'm certain my farmboy neighbor tossed it into the creek. They're made of tougher stuff than I am.